International Women in Engineering Day
- Celebrating our Female Engineers
Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate International Women in Engineering Day - Ikram Chbicheb, part of the Trainee estimating team explains her aspirations and first working experience in the engineering field.
"Gender diversity is an issue before we even start employment. As a child, I wanted to be an engineer; however, when it was time to start my university studies I hesitated, because for me engineering was a profession with a masculine connotation. Currently I am studying Electrical, Electronic and Automation Engineering at Claude Bernard University in Lyon, France. I really like the idea of working for an international company and the opportunity of an internship at Bouygues Energies & Services has given me a chance to familiarise myself with the electrical engineering industry and improve my English.
The challenges, and opportunities to learn are constant; all contributing to the pride felt from seeing a project come to reality. My biggest aspiration as an engineer is to directly contribute to projects that could change people’s lives for the better.
My experience here has been incredibly positive. I am the only woman in the estimating team, however, I don’t feel any discrimination. We work as a team and I see plenty of skills and qualities in my colleagues that I can learn from. It can be a good idea to find yourself a mentor within the company.
Celebrating “International Women in Engineering Day” means a lot to me. Indeed, in the world only 20% of technical jobs are occupied by women. Not only does talking about the different engineering professions allow women to learn more and follow their interests, it will break stereotypes and bring renewed confidence to girls who wish to pursue this career.
When asked for advice for any women who want to choose a career in engineering, I am full of positivity. If you want to work as an engineer, don’t hesitate. Besides, I would say – don’t consider yourself to be a female engineer, just be an engineer!"
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- Bouygues Energies & Services successfully delivers the £1.3M refurbishment of the Adult Assessment Unit at Barnet Hospital
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded a place on the CCS’ ‘Traffic Management Technology 2’ (TMT2) Framework Agreement.
- Strengthenig Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde
- Launch of construction at Northern Ireland's first large-scale energy from waste facility.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win contract for the turnkey delivery of a waste-to-energy gasification plant in Belfast.