Data centres; future-proofing the power behind the data economy
Data Centres have become a part of our lives in a way that most of us don’t realise, but with 259 colocation data centres in the UK alone, they are a crucial part of our infrastructure.
For businesses, data centres are integral to their operations. In a world where 30 minutes of data downtime can equate to thousands of pounds in lost revenue, they demand reliability and resilience from the data centre providers they entrust.
On an individual basis, we are also inherently reliant on datacentres. From contactless payments to managing our heating remotely, if the data was suddenly unavailable we’d certainly know about it! And with the IDC predicting a two-fold increase in wearable tech by 2021, the demand placed on data centres is only set to escalate.
On a wider scale, global infrastructure itself places huge reliance on data centres; transport, lighting, security, television. You name it, a data centre probably supports it.
So while they say that money makes the world go round, in the age of IoT, is it perhaps Data Centres that drive global commerce?
Bridging the gap between tech and ethics
While much of this infrastructure exists covertly, there are elements of data centres which remain very much in the public eye. Connectivity, economy and sustainability are ideas which most of us think about; and with new legislation such as the GDPR coming into play, the security of public data is definitely at the forefront of everyone’s mind.
So, when these huge, energy-consuming data centres exist, holding the key to both our connectivity and our personal data, the focus on a data centre’s sustainability, security and resilience becomes much more of a public issue.
For Bouygues Energies & Services, transforming data centres into energy efficient, resilient, secure facilities with zero downtime, is at the heart of what we do.
The BYES approach:
Rather than relying on traditional data centre build methods or patterns, we think differently to offer our clients alternative solutions with innovative design methodologies focused on energy efficiency. We’ve been able to demonstrate how rethinking the need for Greenfield data centres could be a step in the right direction, reducing impact on the environment and cost to our clients.
Through collaboration with our clients, we can deliver efficient solutions that suit both parties. This approach means we can offer more versatile facilities and flexibility in design. Offering refurbishment, upgrade and fit-out solutions, as well as the traditional design & build offer, we create solutions which fit our clients’ business needs.
How do we do it?
Our team of in house, Uptime accredited designers is highly experienced in creating personalised solutions for every business type. Adopting an ‘intelligent by design’ attitude, the team embraces innovative practices for air-cooling, power and connectivity into each build. Installation of fresh-air, evaporative cooling technology, solar panels and chimney racks for heat extraction ensures each data centre is not only greener, but also cost effective.
Alongside considerations for sustainability, our teams think about the whole project lifecycle. That means that from design, to electrical installation, all the way through to final project handover, BYES work with the client all the way. We even provide Integrated System Testing (IST) to ensure that all software is functioning correctly and data integrity is maintained before we handover to the client.
Jamie Hughes and Phil Johnson, two of our in-house experts, summarise the benefits of our data centre approach;
“Our data centre resilience is demonstrated by a number of considerations across power and security. For example, in addition to simple A + B deployment, we also offer a distributive redundant system which is more space and expenditure efficient. We have highly reliable end plant equipment to reduce mean time between failures (MTBF) and Uptime Institute Accredited Tier Designers in house, to enable verification of the Tier certification scheme requirements at each design stage.
Our in-house security systems and integration team ensures these critical resilience systems are integrated into design concepts at the earliest stage possible.
Knowing that our data centre offering is as green as possible matters to both BYES UK’s team and our end clients. Our credentials include high-end equipment which boasts market-leading energy efficiency, such as Eaton UPSs which can be run in VMMS mode (by suspending modules that are not required for optimum efficiency), oversize underfloor cable runouts to reduce cooling requirements, and a distributive distribution system to reduce standby equipment, for less plant space and reduced carbon footprint.
We also take an extendable approach to equipment, allowing plant to be scaled up to match load as required, reducing losses and costs. We integrate the latest fan and pump technologies, coupled with high efficiency cooling systems (direct and indirect air, evaporative cooling and CHW systems). A key to this approach is our strong relationship with specialist equipment suppliers who can correctly install equipment and ensure integration.“
Utilising our unique process and the expertise of our team, we have seen the successful completion of several, different tier data centre projects (seen here). Our turnkey offering allows clients to begin using their fully equipped data centres immediately after completion, saving valuable time and money.
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- We're developing an energy project that will transform St Ives Park & Ride into a renewable energy generator.
- We will be presented the award by HRH Princess Anne
- Bouygues Energies & Services get moving with the Virgin Pulse
- Bouygues Energies & Services Data Centre team took part in The 21st Dragon Boat Challenge.
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde