Kent County Council Energy Saving Scheme
In 2015, Bouygues Energies & Services partnered with Kent County Council to reduce street lighting energy consumption in order to meet the challenge of rising energy prices. To achieve this Kent County Council aimed to convert all of its current street lights to Light Emitting Diode (LED) products.
new street lighting units
The overall aim of this project is to reduce energy consumption by at least 60% whilst maintaining lighting standards in accordance with BS5489: 2015. The project work, to install LED lanterns, started in March 2016 and will be delivered in three phases:
- In the first 14 months, 75,000 residential lights will be changed
- Over 24 months, approximately 45,000 major road and town centre street lights will be changed
- Ongoing maintenance of the assets for the duration of the contract
Bouygues Energies & Service designed an award winning project delivery plan which brought together strategic programming, smart logistics and a dedicated mobile workforce.
We delivered an energy focused design solution and guaranteed Kent County Council more than 65% in energy savings. This drove down their costs and increased their overall efficiency.
To ensure ease of monitoring, we have chosen a proven, reliable system which meets all of Kent County Council’s needs and has the in-built ability to offer future “Smart City” capabilities. Providing 100% connectivity for all street lights, all the newly installed units are linked to a central management system (CMS) which will allow Kent County Council to manage and adapt lighting levels as required.
Installation crews are managed by supervisors based in mobile welfare/office vehicles. This ensures safety, productivity and quality, and gives us better control of operations with supervisors based close to the works.
Whilst still in the early stages of this contract, Kent County Council have experienced numerous benefits through its partnership with Bouygues Energies & Services.
The Local Authority's investment is guaranteed
This is a result of the underwriting of energy and maintenance savings.
The smart logistics approach has enabled an accelerated programme option
Part of our winning strategy was designing an accelerated delivery programme for the LED conversion. By delivering this scheme in 25 months instead of 38 months, additional savings of £4m will be generated.
Average savings of £4m a year
The Council saves money and reduces its carbon footprint by lowering energy usage. Our LED conversion guaranteed saving 65.7 % of Kent’s street lighting energy thereby reducing the carbon footprint.
Maintenance costs will be reduced
We offered KCC an annual lump sum maintenance package - saving Kent County Council an estimated £1.6 million over 15 years and transfers the risk of any increased maintenance costs over the life of the contract to Bouygues.
Latest case studies
- Bouygues Energies & Services enters a partnership to design and construct a 5MWp solar PV farm, completed under an EPC framework.EnergyUnited-Kingdom
- Existing clients of ours wanted to bring their device inventories to 100% compliance.BuildingsUnited-Kingdom
- Our client required a highly controlled, ISO class 8 cleanroom for appropriate testing of the ExoMars Rover.IndustryUnited-Kingdom
- Our client required a new Learning Centre to influence and inspire young people to purse careers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths).IndustryUnited-Kingdom
- In 2007 we began a 30 year PFI Agreement with Peterborough City Council to deliver Total Facilities Management to various schools across the city.BuildingsUnited-Kingdom
- Our client was lacking in available laboratory space to accommodate the equipment needed for pipeline biologics production. We provided the design & build solution of a MABs analytical testing laboratory.IndustryUnited-Kingdom
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- Bouygues Energies & Service were featured in Innovators magazine's biotech special, which was distributed at the annual IBioIC conference in Glasgow.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- Bouygues Energies & Services successfully delivers the £1.3M refurbishment of the Adult Assessment Unit at Barnet Hospital
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded a place on the CCS’ ‘Traffic Management Technology 2’ (TMT2) Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde