Kent County Council Energy Saving Scheme
In 2016, Bouygues Energies & Services partnered with Kent County Council to reduce street lighting energy consumption in order to meet the challenge of rising energy prices. To achieve this Kent County Council aimed to convert all of its current street lights to Light Emitting Diode (LED) products.
new street lighting units
The overall aim of this project is to reduce energy consumption by at least 60% whilst maintaining lighting standards in accordance with BS5489: 2015. The project work, to install LED lanterns, started in March 2016 and will be delivered in three phases:
- In the first 14 months, 75,000 residential lights will be changed
- Over 24 months, approximately 45,000 major road and town centre street lights will be changed
- Ongoing maintenance of the assets for the duration of the contract
Bouygues Energies & Service designed an award winning project delivery plan which brought together strategic programming, smart logistics and a dedicated mobile workforce.
We delivered an energy focused design solution and guaranteed Kent County Council more than 65% in energy savings. This drove down their costs and increased their overall efficiency.
To ensure ease of monitoring, we have chosen a proven, reliable system which meets all of Kent County Council’s needs and has the in-built ability to offer future “Smart City” capabilities. Providing 100% connectivity for all street lights, all the newly installed units are linked to a central management system (CMS) which will allow Kent County Council to manage and adapt lighting levels as required.
Installation crews are managed by supervisors based in mobile welfare/office vehicles. This ensures safety, productivity and quality, and gives us better control of operations with supervisors based close to the works.
Whilst still in the early stages of this contract, Kent County Council have experienced numerous benefits through its partnership with Bouygues Energies & Services.
The Local Authority's investment is guaranteed
This is a result of the underwriting of energy and maintenance savings.
The smart logistics approach has enabled an accelerated programme option
Part of our winning strategy was designing an accelerated delivery programme for the LED conversion. By delivering this scheme in 25 months instead of 38 months, additional savings of £4m will be generated.
Average savings of £4m a year
The Council saves money and reduces its carbon footprint by lowering energy usage. Our LED conversion guaranteed saving 65.7 % of Kent’s street lighting energy thereby reducing the carbon footprint.
Maintenance costs will be reduced
We offered KCC an annual lump sum maintenance package - saving Kent County Council an estimated £1.6 million over 15 years and transfers the risk of any increased maintenance costs over the life of the contract to Bouygues.
Latest case studies
- Delivering Hard Facilities Management Services to University Hospital Lewisham, BYES remains agile and adaptable to the high standard healthcare environment.BuildingsBouygues Energies & Services works in partnership with Broomfield Hospital to deliver Hard FM, Lifecycle and HelpDesk Services.BuildingsOur client required a capacity increase for a Silver Hydrocel manufacturing suite and supporting areas, as well as additional IDA and Solvent Effluent storage capacity, integrated with minimum disruption to ongoing operations.IndustryBouygues Energies & Services enters a partnership to design and construct a 5MWp solar PV farm, completed under an EPC framework.
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special,
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- Bouygues Energies & Services successfully delivers the £1.3M refurbishment of the Adult Assessment Unit at Barnet Hospital
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded a place on the CCS’ ‘Traffic Management Technology 2’ (TMT2) Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde