In the mist of COVID-19 we have found digital services could be as equally as important as water and electricity.
The new way of life has shown us our reliance on digital services; services we’ve taken for granted, services we require to get our weekly grocery shop, stream movies/shows and adapt to our new way of working. In a recent article Darren Watkins, Managing Director of VIRTUS Data Centres highlights the importance of digital’s position as an essential service and its importance on our daily lives.
“The coronavirus pandemic is fast confirming digital’s position as an essential service, on par with utilities like water and electricity – required for us to live and work safely and effectively.
But this puts added pressure on the infrastructures of organisations responsible for making our digital applications run, as the degree of reliance on network capacity and resiliency rises. At the heart of making all of this work is the data centre industry.”
Dan Mace, EVP Data Centre, Bouygues Energies & Services feels the data centres are already designed to cope with the digital demand by pointing out:
“A data centre by definition is design, specified, constructed and tested to cope with the increasing demand and also multiple levels of redundancy and back up. We have confidence that this is achieved within our data centres due to the diligence and accuracy of the design teams who develop these complex builds to withstand the loads and stresses expected in today’s modern data centre.”
Increase of data usage
Data Centres have had an increase demand since the start of the COVID-19 crises, a report indicates from February 27th to March 31st there was a 78.6% increase of internet users within the UK alone.
In this period Netflix had 15.77 million new customers subscribe to their services and other similar services like Amazon’s Prime Video and Disney + all showed a similar increase.
According to a report by Forbes digital content from mobile apps, paid and free TV streaming and gaming have all seen a huge increase along with Ecommerce with so many of us doing all our shopping from the comfort of our own home.
Data Centre infrastructure
So what does this mean for the internet and data centres? Are we going to wake up one morning and have no internet, no online gaming, no online streaming, shopping and so on
The answer is no. This all means there is an increase demand of the data centre industry but according to a recent article published in Data Centre Review Magazine Darren Watkins, feels the data centre industry is prepared for future demand on the industry through test and experience with power blackout, adverse weather conditions and other disruptive events.
This is also supported by Dan Mace, EVP Data Centre, Bouygues Energies & Services who added to his previous statement saying:
“The effectiveness of the deliberate design philosophy is then proven, validated and rigorously tested by the commissioning teams using all real life potential scenarios and loads to confirm they meet the highest level of performance. With the fast moving and developing demand for data, forward projection of the future requirements is essential, the impact of this ever increasing demand is something we are constantly challenging and considering in our ever evolving data centre model.”
Dan and the Bouygues Energies & Services team have work with VIRTUS Data Centres for many years and recently been awarded the design and build for the new VIRTUS Data Centres LONDON7.
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- There has always been a huge importance on reducing our Global footprint, to ensure a sustainable future
- A day for employers across the country to advocate their support for responsible employment.
- We have signed a first of its kind deal with Airlite, an innovative paint company
- Top tips to reduce you carbon footprint while working from home
- Along with 17 other companies the Data Centre team undertook a number of high-level fundraising activities in aid of CRASH charity.
- On this project we will be using our new innovative modular solution to help achieve the quality, speed to market..
- Sustainability can be a uniting theme and in this context great partnerships can be built between universities and the private sector.
- Leon wins the Sustainability Awards!
- We've helped Manchester Cares get closer to their £10,000 target
- We're providing a safe long term solution to protect our healthcare workers
- We’ve contributed to over 23,000 fruit portions, 600 fruit baskets being delivered to NHS hospitals.
- Some of our team members share their experiences during Covid-19.
- We've been recognised for our approach to health and safety
- Well done to our four team members that have made the finals!
- The Most Effective Development to a Wellbeing Strategy
- ExCel London on the 11th – 12th March 2020
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s Data Centre World
- Project Manager Aaron Yule will lead the team in charge of transforming Ashford's lighting.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Contracting awarded design and build for new VIRTUS Data Centres LONDON6
- Gold Award for our continued focus on sustainability
- We're exhibiting at this year’s 2019 ISPE Europe Pharma 4.0 Conference, 20 - 21 November 2019, Manchester, Old Trafford.
- We have successfully renewed our Cyber Essentials Plus certification for the whole organisation.
- Virology Research Laboratory extension for AstraZeneca
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s DCD Event, 5 -6th November 2019, Old Billingsgate, London.
- David Carr presents his thought leadership piece.
- VIRTUS is the fastest growing Data Centre provider in the UK.
- We're encouraging our staff to share their work stories on social media.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are pleased to announce they are supporting DATACENTRE.ME!
- We're developing an energy project that will transform St Ives Park & Ride into a renewable energy generator.
- We will be presented the award by HRH Princess Anne
- Bouygues Energies & Services get moving with the Virgin Pulse
- Bouygues Energies & Services Data Centre team took part in The 21st Dragon Boat Challenge.
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87