Why should security staff care about mental health?
At Bouygues Energies & Services we care about mental health. We have a number of trained Mental Health First Aiders across the company who can spot signs of colleagues who may be having a difficult time and offer help. In addition, the focus of our ‘Health and Safety’ week held in October was around mental health and wellbeing.
This focus extends to our security teams working for clients across a number of sites, in a number of sectors. They provide a caring and supportive approach to those they protect.
Towards the end of 2018 we attended the ‘Security in Higher Education’ event organised by Salford University, at the Radisson Blu hotel in Manchester. As well as supporting the event as a sponsor, our main objective was to highlight how important it is for security staff at universities and colleges to look out for the mental health and wellbeing of those they are protecting.
Rob Hudson our Senior Security Operations Manager hosted our presentation. Rob opened by highlighting some alarming figures about student suicide. The rate of student suicide in higher education between July 2016 and July 2017 in England and Wales was 4.7 deaths per 100,000 students, which equates to 95 suicides; this is expected to increase. Rob explained the ‘traditional’ security model is about providing a strict and robust service and ensuring certain rules are followed. However, our aim is to keep people safe. When students are suffering with mental health problems that lead them to make decisions that put their lives at risk, we need to know about it and help them.
Our Student Welfare Values
We have introduced ‘student welfare values’ to ensure the mental health of students is at the forefront of the work we do. They are to: notice, listen, support, engage, protect, inform and care.
As part of our approach we ensure that we:
- get to know students early and let them know that the security reception is a place of safety and they can come and talk to any staff member at any time during the day or night
- recruit the right people that are approachable and able to make a connection with students
- train our teams to be skilled in observation, profiling, welfare and safety, as well as how to deal with suicide attempts
- provide stability by keeping the same people in a team for a full term, having a trained backup team and giving staff access to mental health support
Delegates were able to find out more about our approach at our stand where we also showed them various items we give out to students to help keep them safe in other ways including personal alarms, torches and ways of checking whether their drinks have been spiked with alcohol or drugs.
We are keen to build on our approach and ensure our model is taken forward into our other sectors and future contracts.
When providing effective security, wellbeing cannot be ignored.
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- We will be presented the award by HRH Princess Anne
- Bouygues Energies & Services get moving with the Virgin Pulse
- Bouygues Energies & Services Data Centre team took part in The 21st Dragon Boat Challenge.
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde