Working as a Graduate in Procurement
Without Procurement there would be no supply chain; and without a supply chain, our exciting, innovative and ground-breaking projects simply wouldn't happen. Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in such a fundamental area of the business, and how he is finding the Bouygues Energies & Services General Management Graduate Scheme...
As a graduate, stepping into the world of Procurement can be daunting, especially if you have no prior experience. However as time goes on, you adapt to the expectations of the role and the gap between university and the world of work narrows. Perhaps I'm biased, but I believe a placement in Procurement provides the perfect platform for any Graduate to broaden their horizons; and here’s why:
Variety and Opportunity
Firstly, variety. Every day is different. Working with raw materials, suppliers and contractors, you meet a variety of people and this helps to develop your niche. Travelling to sites in Belfast, Scotland and Dublin has given me the chance to discover different places that I would never have explored had it not been for my placement. I think this appeals to so many young graduates, as it can often be difficult finding an opportunity which offers both travel and work. The two hardly ever go hand in hand, yet Procurement is the perfect anomaly
Gaining Sound Business Acumen
Secondly, the relationship between Procurement and Commercial is very close, and getting an early grasp on finance is a great foundation for most career paths. Whether it be Finance, General Management or Engineering placements, it is imperative to know your figures. Working in Procurement provides this exposure and you quickly become a major player in piloting growth and improving the business' supply chain.
Growing Your Business Network
Lastly, and arguably most importantly, a placement in Procurement offers great exposure to corporate events. In November I was lucky enough to be involved in the organisation of Bouygues Energies & Services' Annual Supply Chain Forum. The day consisted of talks from guest speakers, interactive workshops and a networking session. This provided me with an invaluable experience as an entry level graduate. The event was really successful, and vendors came away being "more determined than ever" to work with Bouygues Energies & Services. Out of the 220 attendees, 95% said they would attend again and 88% would recommend working with us.
It was really fulfilling to see the event I had helped create, conclude with such success. I left having built working relationships with people I would never have met otherwise. My experience so far within Procurement has been indispensable to my career development and I have only just hit the tip of the iceberg.
If I had any advice to give to current undergraduates applying for placements, it would be:
- Don't be afraid of making mistakes, because at this stage, if you're not making mistakes you're probably not doing anything at all.
- Don't sit across from someone and type them an email; get up, speak to people and build relationships with them. This makes work more enjoyable and people are more inclined to help you in the future. If you're working remotely, give someone a call!
- Be confident and act proactively. This will demonstrate to others that you can complete tasks efficiently.
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde