Bouygues Energies & Services fund GB footballer, Ross Sinclair, to attend Special Olympics in Abu Dhabi
Through our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) fund, Bouygues Energies & Services have been able to sponsor athlete, Ross Sinclair, to represent Team GB at the Special Olympics World Games in Abu Dhabi next month.
Ross was selected to represent GB as part of the Men’s Football Squad, following his success at national trials in February 2018. However, the GB Special Olympics Team is not government funded, so they rely heavily on fundraising and donations. Which is how Bouygues Energies & Services came to be involved!
Aware of the Bouygues Energies & Services central CSR fund, Ross’ older brother – Cameron Sinclair, a Quantity Surveyor based in our Scotland office – decided to apply on Ross’ behalf, with great success. The £2,500.00 contribution from Bouygues Energies & Services has significantly eased the pressure to fundraise and will allow Ross' local team - Scotland West - to fund their three athletes, without impacting all the other young people they serve.
Speaking about the opportunity, Ross said,
"The Special Olympics has given me the confidence to mix with new people. I have played in 2 regional games and brought home bronze medals both times. To be chosen for the world games has been an amazing opportunity, as it helps me meet people from all over the world and see new places. Just to be chosen is life changing, but it would also be wonderful bring back a medal for Team GB. I would also like to say thank you to all at Bouygues Energies & Services who have helped with the sponsorship.”
As the Special Olympics World Games draw closer the Men’s Football Team reaches the final stages of their preparation. They’ve been on several training camps recently and had their final session last weekend at the legendary FA training facility: St George’s Park. They have even been featured on Sky Sports News, with reporter, Vinny O’Connor, getting an inside preview of the team’s preparations.
Athletes selected to represent their country in the Special Olympics are split into regional teams, with these teams funding athletes to attend the games. Ross is part of the Scotland West Special Olympics team, along with two other selected athletes, which brought the funding total for Scotland West to over £7k. Though a very worthy cause and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the athletes, this amount represents a significant sum of money for a charitable organisation, which is why they encouraged the athletes and their families to fundraise as much as possible.
Ross started playing football for a team when he was 16. Living with mild autism, Ross found the experience of a boys’ team fairly challenging, as he struggled with the language that his peers used and had difficulties grasping how to be part of a team. While he is a highly competent footballer, Ross struggles with social situations and new environments, which made joining a team extremely difficult. His teammates didn’t necessarily understand his challenges and weren’t open to taking the extra time to help him out.
After his tenth training session with the squad, Ross was asked not to return, as the coach suggested that he made the other players feel uncomfortable. This was incredibly upsetting for both Ross and his family, but fortunately his school recommended the Scotland West Special Olympics team and Ross now has the opportunity to travel the world with his sport.
In 2017 he was part of the Scotland West squad that attended the national games in Sheffield, experiencing great success and leaving with the Bronze Medal. Then in February 2018 he was invited to trial for the Team GB squad, ultimately leading to his selection for this year’s Abu Dhabi games.
About the Special Olympics
The Special Olympics were established in 1968, following the determination of Eunice Kennedy Shriver to give young people living with intellectual disabilities the opportunity to participate and compete in athletic activities. The first games took place in Chicago, USA, with over 1000 athletes competing from the United States and Canada. By the mid-80s, the Special Olympics had gained momentum in more than 50 countries, with over 4000 athletes attending the 1983 international games in Louisiana, USA.
Today, the Special Olympics movement continues on its mission of providing year-round sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual abilities. This year’s games from the 14th-21st March in Abu Dhabi will see over 7,500 athletes take part, travelling from 190 countries to participate in 24 Olympic sports.
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- A virtual celebration to thank our supply chain
- Find out why we're prioritising electric vehicles
- Largest 'Subsidy-Free' Solar Farm in the UK to be Built by Bouygues Energies & Services for NextEnergy Capital
- There has always been a huge importance on reducing our Global footprint, to ensure a sustainable future
- A day for employers across the country to advocate their support for responsible employment.
- We have signed a first of its kind deal with Airlite, an innovative paint company
- Top tips to reduce you carbon footprint while working from home
- Along with 17 other companies the Data Centre team undertook a number of high-level fundraising activities in aid of CRASH charity.
- On this project we will be using our new innovative modular solution to help achieve the quality, speed to market..
- Sustainability can be a uniting theme and in this context great partnerships can be built between universities and the private sector.
- Leon wins the Sustainability Awards!
- We've helped Manchester Cares get closer to their £10,000 target
- We're providing a safe long term solution to protect our healthcare workers
- We’ve contributed to over 23,000 fruit portions, 600 fruit baskets being delivered to NHS hospitals.
- Some of our team members share their experiences during Covid-19.
- We've been recognised for our approach to health and safety
- Well done to our four team members that have made the finals!
- The Most Effective Development to a Wellbeing Strategy
- ExCel London on the 11th – 12th March 2020
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s Data Centre World
- Project Manager Aaron Yule will lead the team in charge of transforming Ashford's lighting.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Contracting awarded design and build for new VIRTUS Data Centres LONDON6
- Gold Award for our continued focus on sustainability
- We're exhibiting at this year’s 2019 ISPE Europe Pharma 4.0 Conference, 20 - 21 November 2019, Manchester, Old Trafford.
- We have successfully renewed our Cyber Essentials Plus certification for the whole organisation.
- Virology Research Laboratory extension for AstraZeneca
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s DCD Event, 5 -6th November 2019, Old Billingsgate, London.
- David Carr presents his thought leadership piece.
- VIRTUS is the fastest growing Data Centre provider in the UK.
- We're encouraging our staff to share their work stories on social media.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are pleased to announce they are supporting DATACENTRE.ME!
- We're developing an energy project that will transform St Ives Park & Ride into a renewable energy generator.
- We will be presented the award by HRH Princess Anne
- Bouygues Energies & Services get moving with the Virgin Pulse
- Bouygues Energies & Services Data Centre team took part in The 21st Dragon Boat Challenge.
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92