New LED street lights save Brent £850,000 and cut carbon emissions by 62%
Bouygues Energies & Services has worked with Brent Borough Council to transform their street lighting. 21,000 new LED street lights have been installed in Brent during a 12-month investment programme that was completed in January 2019.
The new street lights are optimised to brighten pavements and roads, with a more natural white light to improve road safety as well as visibility for residents and visitors. The newly installed ‘Light Emitting Diode’ (LED) lanterns have replaced all 21,000 existing lamps in Brent, thanks to a collaborative approach between the Council and its partners: Bouygues Energies & Services, DW Windsor, PFIL, Design for Lighting, and Salix. This follows the successful completion in November 2018 of a 20-year investment programme, which has seen all of Brent’s lighting columns brought up to superior standards.
The benefits of the new lighting systems are substantial and include:
- £850,000 annual savings for Brent Borough Council in reduced energy and maintenance costs
- 62% annual reduction in carbon emissions (down from 4,800 tonnes per year to 1,800 tonnes)
Tim Grier, Executive Director at Bouygues Energies & Services commented; “As part of a 20-year partnership, Bouygues Energies & Services were delighted to collaborate with Brent on this LED upgrade project which dramatically improves the street environment in the Borough, saving energy and reducing maintenance costs”
Councillor Krupa Sheth, Brent’s Member for the Environment said: “Our 21,000 street lights will save £850,000 every year and have helped us to make Brent greener with a huge 62% reduction in carbon emissions. The street lighting programme is an important part of work to make Brent safer, cleaner and greener. By 2020 the money we receive directly from Government will have been cut by 79%, so the £850,000 savings we have made from our new street lights will enable us to protect spending on services for our residents. I thank Salix, DW Windsor, Bouygues Energies & Services, PFIL and Design for Lighting for their hard work in making a brilliant success of this investment. I would also urge residents to consider using LED bulbs to light their own homes to save money and protect our environment.”
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde