Each year we hold our internal Sustainability Awards open to all our people within Bouygues & Energies Services UK. The Awards recognise and reward those who have not only demonstrated their commitment and improvement to making a real difference to our sustainability performance, but also implemented innovative solutions that bring about environmental, social or economic benefits with potential for being adopted by the company on a wider scale.
This year, the award was won by Ron Manouach and his team working on a project at the Strensham and Llanwern Solar farms. We spoke with Ron to ask him a bit more about what the project means to him and the team.
Congratulations on being voted the winner for the Bouygues E&S Sustainability Awards. Tell me a bit about the project.
It’s an initiative to implement smart technologies to manage electricity consumption and improve energy efficiency in construction compounds. Often, site power is provided by a diesel fuelled generator set which runs at high load 24/7. The ‘Gaia Automate’ tool switches the site consumers (for example heating) on and off periodically, or based on the status of smart sensors, to dramatically reduce the demand on the generator, saving fuel. We began working on it as part of a Learning & Development course called 'Building your Leadership Signature', where the idea was pitched, selected, and taken forward for implementation. Since that time, we have managed to carry out one trial and we are actively developing new ones.
How did the idea come about?
Through our involvement with construction projects over a few years now, it was clear to us that even though all other 'sectors' are moving towards a net-zero future, the construction process itself remains largely unchanged and there is not a lot of focus on improving energy efficiency in construction compounds. Usually, these are high-impact, short-duration projects and, historically, there has not been significant opportunity to implement energy-saving measures on the construction site. However, looking at preliminary project costs, and having been on site for a significant amount of time, one cannot avoid the question 'how can we spend less and not use up so much fuel?'. The advent of smart technologies makes that a possibility.
What have you achieved so far?
Getting approval for our idea in a recent ‘dragons' den’ style presentation to members of the Bouygues Construction UK board and securing the sponsorship of two leaders within the UK organisation was a great achievement, not to mention having just won the Sustainability award! In terms of tangible achievements, we have significantly reduced the energy usage on the Llanwern Solar Farm construction site and saved £5k on fuel cost and 20 tonnes of CO2 emissions during the first two months. Scaling this up across both Bouygues E&S solar farms currently under construction (4 compounds), for a 6 month duration (assuming we implemented this at the start of the process), this could lead to a total saving of £60k and 240 tonnes of CO2 emissions! We're now actively pursuing opportunities for other trials in projects of different Bouygues entities in the UK, as the idea has so much more impact if we scale it up and roll it out across the entire organisation.
How easy would this be to roll out on other sites?
It should be very easy to roll this out on other sites, provided that we engage with all stakeholders and are afforded the possibility to speak to the right stakeholders. We have secured two great sponsorships plus the support of the environment team, so going forward this should be achievable.
What are you goals for 2021?
We'd like to implement this on a few more sites of different set-ups (not only solar farms, not only off-grid, etc.) so that we have more complete proof of concept. We'd then like to align with procurement teams to ensure that this technology forms part of our standard site mobilisation solutions. Finally, we'd like to start discussions about the implementation of this on international projects.
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- Bouygues Energies & Services support Bouygues Construction is continuing to sow its seeds in Australia.
- Food sustainability is about culture, health, equity and respect for the planet we live on.
- We see you as more than a number…
- Interview with Adeel Aslam, Technical Director, Bouygues Energies & Services, Contracting
- where we provided a solution to help improve the internal air quality
- 7100 m² of data storage in the heart of Marseille’s port district
- One for the diary, 11th November 2020, 2pm - 3pm (GMT)
- Provide renewable energy produced from the North Sea Wind Farms to homes across Germany by 2024.
- Pre-fabrication modular block: The paradigm shift to build a data centre differently?
- A virtual celebration to thank our supply chain
- Find out why we're prioritising electric vehicles
- Largest 'Subsidy-Free' Solar Farm in the UK to be Built by Bouygues Energies & Services for NextEnergy Capital
- There has always been a huge importance on reducing our Global footprint, to ensure a sustainable future
- A day for employers across the country to advocate their support for responsible employment.
- We have signed a first of its kind deal with Airlite, an innovative paint company
- Top tips to reduce you carbon footprint while working from home
- Along with 17 other companies the Data Centre team undertook a number of high-level fundraising activities in aid of CRASH charity.
- On this project we will be using our new innovative modular solution to help achieve the quality, speed to market..
- Sustainability can be a uniting theme and in this context great partnerships can be built between universities and the private sector.
- Leon wins the Sustainability Awards!
- We've helped Manchester Cares get closer to their £10,000 target
- We're providing a safe long term solution to protect our healthcare workers
- We’ve contributed to over 23,000 fruit portions, 600 fruit baskets being delivered to NHS hospitals.
- Some of our team members share their experiences during Covid-19.
- We've been recognised for our approach to health and safety
- Well done to our four team members that have made the finals!
- The Most Effective Development to a Wellbeing Strategy
- ExCel London on the 11th – 12th March 2020
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s Data Centre World
- Project Manager Aaron Yule will lead the team in charge of transforming Ashford's lighting.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Contracting awarded design and build for new VIRTUS Data Centres LONDON6
- Gold Award for our continued focus on sustainability
- We're exhibiting at this year’s 2019 ISPE Europe Pharma 4.0 Conference, 20 - 21 November 2019, Manchester, Old Trafford.
- We have successfully renewed our Cyber Essentials Plus certification for the whole organisation.
- Virology Research Laboratory extension for AstraZeneca
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s DCD Event, 5 -6th November 2019, Old Billingsgate, London.
- David Carr presents his thought leadership piece.
- VIRTUS is the fastest growing Data Centre provider in the UK.
- We're encouraging our staff to share their work stories on social media.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are pleased to announce they are supporting DATACENTRE.ME!
- We're developing an energy project that will transform St Ives Park & Ride into a renewable energy generator.
- We will be presented the award by HRH Princess Anne
- Bouygues Energies & Services get moving with the Virgin Pulse
- Bouygues Energies & Services Data Centre team took part in The 21st Dragon Boat Challenge.
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112