A day in the life of a Process Engineer
Process engineering is one of the many specialisms we offer at Bouygues Energies & Services, with process engineering services often relied upon by clients in the pharmaceutical, life science and industrial biotechnology sectors. James Williams tells us about his role at BYES as a Process Engineer, operating across a range of fascinating industries, on projects with a great variety of applications.
So, what is it you do as a Process Engineer?
I’m responsible for the planning, implementation and optimisation of chemical, physical and biological processes, which are essential for the manufacture of products that we all use every day; drugs, medical devices, food ingredients and even fuel. This means that the majority of our clients come from the pharmaceutical, life science and energy sectors; all highly regulated industries with extremely sensitive processes and environments.
Most of these sectors require specialist process equipment, so a central aspect of my role is working with clients and suppliers to specify design requirements for items such as pumps, vessels and heat exchangers.
Delivering tailored solutions while remaining innovative and forward-thinking can be very challenging, but that’s what makes these projects so enjoyable. But working out ways to improve industrial efficiency for these processes is just half the challenge; we also maintain a strict focus on health & safety and environmental sustainability, ensuring all projects meet these requirements too. This can involve solutions for controlled environments where chemicals are used, methods for processes involving pharmaceutical ingredients, and even work within explosive atmospheres. All of this must be achieved efficiently and safely.
I joined BYES after an old colleague after being recommended the company by an old colleague who felt I would be a good fit for both the role and the organisation. That was 18 months ago and I haven’t looked back, I’m enjoying it.
Describe an average day for you…
The role is incredibly focused on detail so most days start with time in the office, assessing client specifications and modifying our designs. The objective is to design a solution that meets the client's requirements while still being safe and cost-effective. It is also important that we manage client expectations to ensure that the service they are receiving meets their business needs. This element of my job therefore requires plenty of communication with clients, partners and suppliers, who may be providing equipment for the project.
I also enjoy the problem-solving and creative aspects of my role; it’s great working with technical detail and using my creativity to meet briefs innovatively, as well as working closely with our own internal architects, electrical and mechanical engineers.
I typically visit a site at all stages of the project; in the outset to take the client’s brief, midway through to update the client on our proposal, and then at the build stage to help install and commission the equipment we have specified. Physically walking around a site is so important for the progress of a project, as it helps to visualise the processes currently in place. It can also inspire design ideas or highlight areas which need rethinking.
What is the culture and team like at BYES?
I’m really enjoying the role and environment here at BYES. I love the fact that despite the nature of our work in the department, the atmosphere is still very relaxed and people know how to have fun. I’m a firm believer in work-life balance and we have a great social crowd in the office. Everyone is keen to get involved in social activities, whether it’s after work drinks and food, or lunchtime clubs such as running or book club.
The Manchester office where I’m based has a good location in the heart of a lovely, bohemian part of the city. It makes for plenty of variety when choosing places to socialise after work.
The role itself is also extremely rewarding. I have been able to get involved in a wide range of project types which really interest me. Everything from biomass plants, to sites manufacturing heart grafts and food additives. I’m also now mentoring a younger graduate which is something I’ve always wanted to do.
What route did you take to get into this career and what is your advice for those who want to get into a similar role?
I realised quite early on that I enjoyed analytical and technical tasks with an element of problem-solving, so I was keen to embark on a degree that would lead me towards that line of work. I chose a Masters in Chemical Engineering at Swansea University.
From there I completed a process engineering internship and then moved into my first full-time engineering role. I’d advise those looking to follow a similar path to choose courses and universities with strong links to industry. Once you reach the workplace it is also important to find yourself a good mentor who can help guide you and provide insight on the best ways to approach different challenges and opportunities.
Bouygues Energies & Services consistently seek to break boundaries, delivering innovation in the process engineering world and beyond. We help clients discover more energy-efficient, sustainable manufacturing processes and we think our results speak volumes. From a pilot plant which is now being used for environmentally friendly glycidol production to a biorenewables development plant in association with GCCE, our expertise in scale-up and process solutions transforms our clients’ vision into a commercial reality.
To find out more about our process engineering careers and services, visit: https://www.bouygues-es.co.uk/join-us
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- TO STRENGTHEN ITS EXPERTISE IN INDUSTRY 4.0
- Bouygues Energies & Services have helped plant over 235 trees in Malawi with the help of Fruitful Office
- Bouygues Construction UK donates laptops to schools and charities, helping to support families in need.
- Earlier this week we spoke to Jo Adams, one of our lead Interior Designers
- Bouygues Energies & Services support Bouygues Construction is continuing to sow its seeds in Australia.
- Each year we hold our internal Sustainability Awards open to all our people within Bouygues & Energies Services UK.
- Food sustainability is about culture, health, equity and respect for the planet we live on.
- We see you as more than a number…
- Interview with Adeel Aslam, Technical Director, Bouygues Energies & Services, Contracting
- where we provided a solution to help improve the internal air quality
- 7100 m² of data storage in the heart of Marseille’s port district
- One for the diary, 11th November 2020, 2pm - 3pm (GMT)
- Provide renewable energy produced from the North Sea Wind Farms to homes across Germany by 2024.
- Pre-fabrication modular block: The paradigm shift to build a data centre differently?
- A virtual celebration to thank our supply chain
- Find out why we're prioritising electric vehicles
- Largest 'Subsidy-Free' Solar Farm in the UK to be Built by Bouygues Energies & Services for NextEnergy Capital
- There has always been a huge importance on reducing our Global footprint, to ensure a sustainable future
- A day for employers across the country to advocate their support for responsible employment.
- We have signed a first of its kind deal with Airlite, an innovative paint company
- Top tips to reduce you carbon footprint while working from home
- Along with 17 other companies the Data Centre team undertook a number of high-level fundraising activities in aid of CRASH charity.
- On this project we will be using our new innovative modular solution to help achieve the quality, speed to market..
- Sustainability can be a uniting theme and in this context great partnerships can be built between universities and the private sector.
- Leon wins the Sustainability Awards!
- We've helped Manchester Cares get closer to their £10,000 target
- We're providing a safe long term solution to protect our healthcare workers
- We’ve contributed to over 23,000 fruit portions, 600 fruit baskets being delivered to NHS hospitals.
- Some of our team members share their experiences during Covid-19.
- We've been recognised for our approach to health and safety
- Well done to our four team members that have made the finals!
- The Most Effective Development to a Wellbeing Strategy
- ExCel London on the 11th – 12th March 2020
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s Data Centre World
- Project Manager Aaron Yule will lead the team in charge of transforming Ashford's lighting.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Contracting awarded design and build for new VIRTUS Data Centres LONDON6
- Gold Award for our continued focus on sustainability
- We're exhibiting at this year’s 2019 ISPE Europe Pharma 4.0 Conference, 20 - 21 November 2019, Manchester, Old Trafford.
- We have successfully renewed our Cyber Essentials Plus certification for the whole organisation.
- Virology Research Laboratory extension for AstraZeneca
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s DCD Event, 5 -6th November 2019, Old Billingsgate, London.
- David Carr presents his thought leadership piece.
- VIRTUS is the fastest growing Data Centre provider in the UK.
- We're encouraging our staff to share their work stories on social media.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are pleased to announce they are supporting DATACENTRE.ME!
- We're developing an energy project that will transform St Ives Park & Ride into a renewable energy generator.
- We will be presented the award by HRH Princess Anne
- Bouygues Energies & Services get moving with the Virgin Pulse
- Bouygues Energies & Services Data Centre team took part in The 21st Dragon Boat Challenge.
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131