Experiencing the Bouygues Energies & Services Graduate Scheme
Bouygues Energies & Services offers a diverse portfolio, so it is only natural that we try to maintain a workforce that is equally varied and diverse. General Management Graduate Trainee, Connor Cassley, describes his experience of the graduate scheme and explains how even the most unconventional degree can be more relevant to the world of business than you think...
If you told me when I was at school that I would be embarking on a 2 year rotational graduate scheme with an international company, I wouldn't have believed you. Especially considering I studied Geology at University. My current placement is within the Industry division of Bouygues Energies & Services, working in construction. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.
So how did you get here?
At college I aspired to be a medicinal chemist, but following work experience with a pharmaceutical company, I became more interested in the concept of project management. Through my involvement in activities like the Duke of Edinburgh award and NCS; it became clear that leadership was one of my strengths.
After graduation I wanted to continue my professional development and build upon these leadership skills. I was attracted to BYES because of their diverse portfolio of complex and interesting projects. Combined with supportive mentors and a culture of 'shared innovation', I felt they would be an excellent fit for me and my aspirations, and I was right.
What makes the BYES graduate scheme different?
From Data Centres and Life Science, to Smart Cities and Solar Farms, BYES operate in such a broad range of sectors. The projects are innovative and exciting, with unique integral elements that require specialised technical support teams. During your rotations as a graduate here you're in a very special position, being able to sample the specific areas that interest you across a very diverse business.
My current placement is with the fast-paced technical team based at the BYES office in Manchester. I work on various projects from Building Information Modelling (BIM) to business improvement initiatives. The role has given me fantastic exposure to colleagues across the UK, allowing me to build relationships and develop an insight into the wider business. With regular visits and audits of our construction sites, I have experienced the construction of data centres, energy from waste facilities and cleanrooms, which has been an incredibly interesting part of my role.
I have had the opportunity to promote BYES at the University of Salford's Computer, Science & Engineering Fair, speaking with prospective graduates and answering their questions about working in the AEC industry. With my background in Geology, I had never associated my experience with a career in Architecture, Engineering or Construction. I found it fulfilling to share with other graduates that they did not need this either, it was about the skills gained during my degree that equipped me with the ability to thrive on this programme and make a real difference on the projects I work on.
And the best thing about being a part of the graduate scheme?
The biggest benefit of the BYES graduate scheme for me has to be the ability to tailor your rotations to your personal interests, with access to brilliant mentors across the business. This aspect has enabled me to express my ideas about key and complex projects. The opportunity to attend and learn from CPD sessions at London Build Expo and the Eco Roadshow has broadened my knowledge and drive to succeed within the business.
Do you have any advice for current undergraduates looking for graduate positions?
As a graduate you're in a very unique position in the job market and have some of the very best opportunities open to you. There are so many different ways to access the industry or job that you wish to be in. Make the most of it!
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- There has always been a huge importance on reducing our Global footprint, to ensure a sustainable future
- A day for employers across the country to advocate their support for responsible employment.
- We have signed a first of its kind deal with Airlite, an innovative paint company
- Top tips to reduce you carbon footprint while working from home
- Along with 17 other companies the Data Centre team undertook a number of high-level fundraising activities in aid of CRASH charity.
- On this project we will be using our new innovative modular solution to help achieve the quality, speed to market..
- Sustainability can be a uniting theme and in this context great partnerships can be built between universities and the private sector.
- Leon wins the Sustainability Awards!
- We've helped Manchester Cares get closer to their £10,000 target
- We're providing a safe long term solution to protect our healthcare workers
- We’ve contributed to over 23,000 fruit portions, 600 fruit baskets being delivered to NHS hospitals.
- Some of our team members share their experiences during Covid-19.
- We've been recognised for our approach to health and safety
- Well done to our four team members that have made the finals!
- The Most Effective Development to a Wellbeing Strategy
- ExCel London on the 11th – 12th March 2020
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s Data Centre World
- Project Manager Aaron Yule will lead the team in charge of transforming Ashford's lighting.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Contracting awarded design and build for new VIRTUS Data Centres LONDON6
- Gold Award for our continued focus on sustainability
- We're exhibiting at this year’s 2019 ISPE Europe Pharma 4.0 Conference, 20 - 21 November 2019, Manchester, Old Trafford.
- We have successfully renewed our Cyber Essentials Plus certification for the whole organisation.
- Virology Research Laboratory extension for AstraZeneca
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s DCD Event, 5 -6th November 2019, Old Billingsgate, London.
- David Carr presents his thought leadership piece.
- VIRTUS is the fastest growing Data Centre provider in the UK.
- We're encouraging our staff to share their work stories on social media.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are pleased to announce they are supporting DATACENTRE.ME!
- We're developing an energy project that will transform St Ives Park & Ride into a renewable energy generator.
- We will be presented the award by HRH Princess Anne
- Bouygues Energies & Services get moving with the Virgin Pulse
- Bouygues Energies & Services Data Centre team took part in The 21st Dragon Boat Challenge.
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87