What's it like to complete an undergraduate placement at Bouygues Energies & Services?
Completing an undergraduate placement year, as part of a degree course, can be an excellent way to gain experience and put yourself ahead of the competition. Trainee Interior Architect, Hollie Moulder, explains how important such an opportunity has been for her and what it is like to complete an undergraduate placement at Bouygues Energies & Services...
I study Interior Architecture and Design at Nottingham Trent University and despite what you might think, it’s definitely not deliberating over wallpaper and throw cushions! During my course my favourite modules have been Design Studio and Technical Studies. I love using my creativity and working with a brief to produce a project that can be used in the real world. Technical Studies was interesting because I enjoyed learning the reality behind the more aesthetic aspects of design.
I’ve known that I wanted to work in building design of some description for as long as I can remember. I’ve always been super creative and I wanted to reflect that passion and energy into my future career. It was only during my A Levels that I discovered which course felt right for me, after visiting a Graduate Exhibition. When I got to see all the final year’s work, I was in complete awe of what they had produced and knew that I wanted to work towards producing something like they had.
Why a course with an undergraduate placement?
Picking a course that offered a placement year was really important to me for two reasons. Firstly, because experience is everything. You get the opportunity to put all the theory you have learned into practice and it gives you a genuine taste of what the real world of work in the industrial/design sector is like. For me, the experience of a placement has solidified why I chose my course in the first place, motivating me for my final year and my future career. Secondly, there are millions of students that graduate with high class honour degrees. I think that employers really do look for people who have previous knowledge of the career journey they’re about to embark on.
What made you choose Bouygues Energies & Services?
Within my course we were limited in what we got to learn about construction. I’m an eager learner, and since I’d only grasped a basic understanding, I wanted to push myself and gain a much better knowledge of the construction process. It’s something that I had always had an interest in, which is why I chose to complete my placement at BYES.
I have really enjoyed my time at BYES, not just because of what I am learning here, but also because of the social network the job has provided. Although there are times where I feel a little out of my depth, the office has a great atmosphere with lots of friendly faces to support and encourage me. With the help of my amazing mentor, I am developing my skills and feeling more confident in my work every day. I think that BYES pushes you to excel in your work, whilst also growing you as an individual.
Personal highlights during my time here have included my first work night out! As well as this completing my first tender submission under a difficult time frame was challenging and really pushed me, but it reminded me of the satisfaction and relief I felt after a Uni hand in. I was also delighted to find out that one of my presentations was presented to clients in Japan!
What was it like moving to a new city?
It was pretty scary to move to a new place, especially working and living with people that I didn't know, but it’s actually one of the best things I’ve ever done. I’m continuously building my confidence and have met some amazing people that have really helped me settle in.
Any advice for current undergraduates?
Get involved with work activities and don’t be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they’re stupid. You aren’t expected to know everything!
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- Project Manager Aaron Yule will lead the team in charge of transforming Ashford's lighting.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Contracting awarded design and build for new VIRTUS Data Centres LONDON6
- Gold Award for our continued focus on sustainability
- We're exhibiting at this year’s 2019 ISPE Europe Pharma 4.0 Conference, 20 - 21 November 2019, Manchester, Old Trafford.
- We have successfully renewed our Cyber Essentials Plus certification for the whole organisation.
- Virology Research Laboratory extension for AstraZeneca
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s DCD Event, 5 -6th November 2019, Old Billingsgate, London.
- David Carr presents his thought leadership piece.
- VIRTUS is the fastest growing Data Centre provider in the UK.
- We're encouraging our staff to share their work stories on social media.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are pleased to announce they are supporting DATACENTRE.ME!
- We're developing an energy project that will transform St Ives Park & Ride into a renewable energy generator.
- We will be presented the award by HRH Princess Anne
- Bouygues Energies & Services get moving with the Virgin Pulse
- Bouygues Energies & Services Data Centre team took part in The 21st Dragon Boat Challenge.
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde