Powering Up St Ives Park & Ride
Bouygues Energies & Services and Cambridgeshire County Council are developing an energy project that will transform St Ives Park & Ride into a renewable energy generator.
The project will see solar panels installed on carports above the two central zones of car parking spaces. These panels will generate renewable electricity, powering not only the site, but also electric vehicle charge points and allow the sale of power to local businesses. The site will benefit from new energy efficient lighting and enhanced CCTV, as well as the creation of a wildlife area.
The £3.6million project is jointly funded by Cambridgeshire County Council and a grant to be secured from European Regional Development Funds. It will be one of the first of its kind in this country, paving the way for new business models to support future green energy projects. The project will also include battery storage housed in shipping container-sized cabinets.
Alongside the construction of the clean energy project, Cambridgeshire County Council will be offering 40 small and medium sized enterprises access to a Business Support Programme to share learning from the project. This project will avoid the release of nearly 2,400 tonnes of CO2 over 25 years. These types of projects are key if the UK is to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
Cllr Kevin Reynolds, representing St Ives South and Needingworth said: “This project will attract interest in St. Ives both nationally and internationally and really put the town on the map as a forward looking place to develop innovative projects. This project will provide benefits by providing clean energy, support to local businesses and the wider community.”
Construction is expected to start in late 2019 and will take 14 months to complete. During this time, the carpark will remain open, with construction taking place in phases to minimise impact on parking. For nearby residents, there will be some unavoidable noise and an increase in traffic during construction, however this will be carefully managed throughout.
Cllr Josh Schumann, Chair of the Commercial and Investment Committee overseeing the project said, “The Council’s vision is to secure renewable and resilient energy supplies and infrastructure that can support local needs. Cambridgeshire will do this whilst maximising commercial benefit for the Council.”
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- We will be presented the award by HRH Princess Anne
- Bouygues Energies & Services get moving with the Virgin Pulse
- Bouygues Energies & Services Data Centre team took part in The 21st Dragon Boat Challenge.
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde