Completing an Apprenticeship at Bouygues Energies & Services
We were very proud to recently be recognised as members of The 5% Club; an initiative which encourages organisations to ensure at least 5% of their workforce are in 'earn and learn' positions like Apprenticeships and Graduate Schemes. These positions are not only a brilliant way of bringing young people into the workplace, but they also aim to offset the UK's growing STEM skills shortage.
Bouygues Energies & Services work across a wide range of sectors in the UK, but much of what we do is rooted in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) skills. We are therefore very conscious of our responsibility to tackle this skills gap and believe that offering opportunities like apprenticeships is a brilliant way of doing so. As well as STEM-specific roles, we are proud to offer Apprenticeships in business support services, because we know that the growth of our business requires a variety of skills.
Meet our apprentices:
Angelita is an HR Administrator in our Manchester office, completing a Level 2 Business Administration Apprenticeship:
"The benefit of an apprenticeship is that you gain a qualification whilst you work and once you've completed it, your salary reflects the qualification you've earned. From there, there's tons of room to develop and progress your career further. Lots of successful people at BYES, started as apprentices!
I was recommended BYES by The Growth Company; they told me that BYES were keen to build young people's careers and that made me feel like my apprenticeship would be well supported. Now I've experienced BYES for myself, I think the culture is definitely moving in a good direction; there's been more of an emphasis on wellbeing lately and everyone in our office gets along - I always look forward to the social events!
One of my personal highlights here has been being involved with planning a team building event. It was a great experience to bond with colleagues I hadn't had the chance to speak to before.
For those thinking of starting an apprenticeship; it can be a challenge to juggle studying and work as you have to be really self-motivated, but the end result is really rewarding!"
Zoe is a Trainee Engineer, studying a BTEC Level 3 in Construction in the Built Environment:
"I chose the apprenticeship route as it gives me a chance to see the responsibilities and roles I could be undertaking in the future. University was never somewhere I could see myself, so an apprenticeship seemed a good way of learning what I'd need to succeed. During an apprenticeship you are able to work alongside academic learning. You consolidate what you've learned with day-to-day work. This makes it easier to understand what is being taught.
When I came for my interview at BYES I knew this was where I wanted to work. There was a friendly atmosphere and I felt this would be a good place to grow and develop my skills. I’d also researched BYES and found a YouTube video on getting more women to be engineers; I could see that it would be a good place to come, as construction is typically a male-dominated industry. Working at BYES has been good. The friendly atmosphere allows you to be yourself. There is a good support system and it feels like the company want to assist in making you the best you can be.
Although I’ve only been here a short time, a highlight has been attending to the Apprentice Forum at our London office. I got to meet a lot of other apprentices within the business which gave me a good insight into the company as a whole.
My advice to those considering their next steps; do an apprenticeship! The majority of apprenticeships run for 1-2 years, which is the same time you’d spend at college, but you get to work while you learn instead. You understand what the working environment is like and can adapt much easier. You also get a qualification and learn alongside people who have years of experience in the field you want to go into. I've also found it more enjoyable, as you get to work on live jobs rather than ones that have just been created for an assignment."
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- Gold Award for our continued focus on sustainability
- We're exhibiting at this year’s 2019 ISPE Europe Pharma 4.0 Conference, 20 - 21 November 2019, Manchester, Old Trafford.
- We have successfully renewed our Cyber Essentials Plus certification for the whole organisation.
- Virology Research Laboratory extension for AstraZeneca
- Bouygues Energies & Services are Exhibiting at this year’s DCD Event, 5 -6th November 2019, Old Billingsgate, London.
- David Carr presents his thought leadership piece.
- VIRTUS is the fastest growing Data Centre provider in the UK.
- We're encouraging our staff to share their work stories on social media.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are pleased to announce they are supporting DATACENTRE.ME!
- We're developing an energy project that will transform St Ives Park & Ride into a renewable energy generator.
- We will be presented the award by HRH Princess Anne
- Bouygues Energies & Services get moving with the Virgin Pulse
- Bouygues Energies & Services Data Centre team took part in The 21st Dragon Boat Challenge.
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde