The Biorenewables Development Centre
The Green Chemistry Centre of Excellence (GCCE) based at the University of York, is at the forefront of innovation in the Biorenewable sector. The GCCE consider sustainable chemical research their priority, looking to transform waste food into a renewable source of high value chemicals, materials and fuel.
world class technologies
month to 1 week reduction in processing time
next-generation DNA technologies
The GCCE have proven at laboratory scale that microwave treatment process of sustainable feedstock can be developed to convert bio-waste into sustainable products, replacing the conventional use of fossil-based chemicals.
To enhance and develop these novel processes, the Biorenewables Development Centre (BDC) was established in collaboration with GCCE, with the intention of creating a facility of open access, scalable processing capabilities. This facility would utilise plant derived materials as sustainable feedstocks for the production of high value, biorenewable chemicals.
The University of York appointed Bouygues Energies & Services as their scale-up partner for the turnkey Design & Build solution of their open access pilot scale facility: Biorenewables Development Centre. Involved from early design stage, we developed a strategic masterplan to provide a highly flexible processing facility. This would allow the client to achieve world class standards of excellence for biorefining technologies and would be relevant to industrial application.
Working within an existing live operational environment, our solution encompassed the integration and commissioning of novel extraction and processing technologies such as Microwave Technologies, Spinning Cone Separation, Supercritical CO2 Extraction and Ammonia Fibre Expansion. Our specialist team also assisted the client in the optimisation of the biorefinery facility, by including an upstream biomass feedstock Pellet Handling System and a biofermentation train. Our solution will offer clients a reduction in processing time from weeks to hours.
Benefits to the Client
A Single Point of Contact to Boost Performance
Providing detailed design, architectural, procurement, construction, installation, process engineering, mechanical and electrical services, and commissioning to offer seamless engineering solutions to the challenges facing our client.
Stepping Up the Scale
Science and vision accelerated from laboratory scale, to a highly technical industrial solution.
Scale up supports academic and research partners in performing novel extraction and purification processes, transforming feedstock into biorenewable chemicals, materials and fuel.
The development of a biorefinery train reduces processing time from weeks to hours, speeding up the entire process and increasing the practicality of biorenewable production procedures.
Contributing Towards a Bioeconomy
Our delivery contributes to the realisation of the BDC’s own vision; to bridge the gap between academia and industry. The facility can be used to develop greener processes and products, and to show organisations how they can achieve the same.
Latest case studies
- Bouygues Energies & Services were approached to design and build their new data centre at VIRTUS' impressive Stockley Park Campus.
- Bouygues Energies & Services were appointed as the turnkey partner for the refurbishment and upgrade of an operational computer room.
- Bouygues Energies & Services were approached to design and build their new, flagship data centre in Hayes, London.
- VIRTUS "energy efficient" data centre appointed Bouygues Energies & Services as their Design & Build partner.
Our Commitments - Pharmaceuticals & Lifesciences
De-risk Project Development
Accompanying you through the whole project development from concept stage to handover
Leveraging our engineering design and construction technique to accelerate and realise the vision of our clients
Compliance Strategies Within Regulated Sectors
Ensuring MHRA and FDA regulations are met as required
Ensuring greater long-term operational efficiency and productivity
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- We're looking for innovative startups to help create the campus of tomorrow!
- We hosted a construction skills academy for local people in Tower Hamlets.
- We're supporting the special Olympics and the great work it does to support 10,000 athletes.
- Brent are saving money, saving carbon and creating a safer place to live and work.
- Working with young people means that for us, wellbeing is as much of a priority as security.
- Employees have been busy spreading the festive cheer, with Christmas fundraising.
- We have won the award in recognition of our sustainability initiatives.
- We are collaborating with the whole Bouygues Construction Group in the UK to host Health & Safety Day 2018.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are delighted to announce the successful handover of the VIRTUS LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- We continue to grow our successful partnership, with further orders from VIRTUS.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Commercial partnership signed between us and Bosch France
- James Williams tells us about his role at Bouygues Energies & Services as a Process Engineer.
- We are delighted to announce a new contract with VIRTUS Data Centres.
- Sustainability initiative for Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.
- What makes a 'good' data centre?
- Bouygues Energies & Services commits to eliminating all single-use plastics from supply chain.
- What do our apprentices really think?
- with Geology graduate, Connor Cassley.
- Bouygues Energies & Service feature in Innovators magazine's biotech special.
- with Interior Architecture and Design undergraduate, Hollie.
- Graduate Trainee, Chris Nicolaou, talks about his experience working in Procurement.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded FM Contract with Slough Borough Council
- Bouygues Energies & Services is delighted to achieve certification of the revised ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- Bouygues Energies & Services awarded new contract to continue providing Facilities Management to UAL.
- Bouygues E&S Contracting UK Ltd win prestigious RoSPA Gold Award
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate the grand opening of our new Scottish office.
- Bouygues Energies & Services engineers go back to school to inspire the next generation of engineers.
- Bouygues Energies & Services partner with Flybits to deliver the connected workplace of the future.
- Bouygues Energies & Services celebrate female engineers on international Women In Engineering Day.
- Bouygues Energies & Services win Considerate Constructors Scheme Bronze medal.
- Bouygues Energies & Services are showcasing at Data Centre World 2017
- We have delivered a £1.3M refurbishment at Barnet Hospital.
- Bouygues Energies & Services Partnering Approach with Biotechnology Stakeholders.
- We're proud to be on the CCS’ TMT2 Framework Agreement.
- Strengthening Supply Chain Partnerships Under the Wings of Concorde